If you have sustained a serious spinal cord injury after an accident, you are likely facing a long road to recovery. Spinal cord injuries that are the result of someone else’s negligence from a serious accident may lead to a personal injury claim. An injury lawyer can advise you of your eligibility if you wish to file an injury claim.
Spinal Cord Injury Treatment
Some of the types of treatment that a patient might receive for a spinal cord injury include:
- Immobilization – this may include a neck collar or traction.
- Medication – this can help to reduce swelling and nerve cell damage. It can also help manage pain and aid in other functionality issues.
- Surgery – this can be done to repair or remove anything that is fractured or that compresses the spine; surgery may also be used as a way to stabilize the spine.
- Experimental treatments – there are a number of experimental treatments available as scientists continue to find ways to improve the prognosis of spinal cord injuries.
- Rehabilitation – this can include occupational, physical and recreational therapies and a number of other types of rehabilitation options.
- Medical devices – this includes wheelchairs, computer adaptations, electrical stimulation devices, and electronic aids.
Spinal cord injuries are oftentimes devastating and life-altering. If you have sustained a spinal cord injury as the result of an accident, you should immediately contact a personal injury attorney to learn about your right to file an injury claim.