If you have sustained a serious spinal cord injury after an accident, you are likely facing a long road to recovery. Spinal cord injuries that are the result of someone else’s negligence from a serious accident may lead to a personal injury claim. A injury lawyer can advise you of your eligibility if you wish to file an injury claim.
Spinal Cord Injury Treatment
Some of the types of treatment that a patient might receive for a spinal cord injury include:
- Immobilization – this may include a neck collar or traction.
- Medication – this can help to reduce swelling and nerve cell damage. It can also help manage pain and aid in other functionality issues.
- Surgery – this can be done to repair or remove anything that is fractured or that compresses the spine; surgery may also be used as a way to stabilize the spine.
- Experimental treatments – there are a number of experimental treatments available as scientists continue to find ways to improve the prognosis of spinal cord injuries.
- Rehabilitation – this can include occupational, physical and recreational therapies and a number of other types of rehabilitation options.
- Medical devices – this includes wheelchairs, computer adaptations, electrical stimulation devices and electronic aids.
Spinal cord injuries are oftentimes devastating and life-altering. If you have sustained a spinal cord injury as the result of a accident, you should immediately contact a personal injury attorney to learn about your right to file an injury claim.