Disability Rights Attorneys
- Employment, including job applications, interviews, hiring, job placement, evaluations, promotions, and termination.
- Public accommodations, including theaters, restaurants, restrooms, sidewalks, office buildings, and retail stores.
- Transportation, including making all types of public transportation accessible without extra costs to disabled travelers.
- Housing, including rentals, sale agreements, or financing.
- Communications, including making public communications accessible to those with vision, hearing, or speech impairments.
- Government actions, including equal benefits of services, programs, and other government-sponsored activities.
Unfortunately, these laws do not effectively prevent all discrimination against people with disabilities. For this reason, victims of unlawful disability discrimination have the right to bring a legal claim against the discriminating party. Disability discrimination cases can involve many unique and complicated legal issues, so you should always seek representation from an attorney who has particular experience handling this type of case.
How You Can Recover
In order to recover for any related losses you have suffered, you will have to adequately show that you have a qualifying disability or were perceived to have a qualifying disability and that you suffered unlawful discrimination without reasonable accommodation. If you adequately make this showing, you can receive the following:
- Reimbursement for any lost income, benefits, or other financial losses you suffered.
- Court order to reinstate you to a lost job position, allow you to live in a location or receive housing financing, making certain facilities accessible, and other actions.
- Compensation for pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Punitive damages.
- Payment for attorney’s fees and legal costs.
The exact worth of your case will depend on the facts of your particular situation, and an experienced lawyer can evaluate your claim and advise you on your legal options.
Davis Levin Livingston Dedicated to Fighting Disability Discrimination
The rights of persons who are physically challenged have been championed by partner Stan Levin from the law firm of Davis Levin Livingston. Mr. Levin has been at the forefront of litigation involving the ADA, as well as other state and federal statutes protecting the rights of the disabled. A few of the successes which Mr. Levin has achieved on behalf of the disabled include the following:
- A $3.7 million verdict for Hawaii Blind Vendors Association for monies improperly withheld for state-airport concession stands.
- Requiring the City and County of Honolulu to make sidewalk ramps accessible throughout the island of Oahu.
These are only two examples of the types of disability rights cases our firm handles and we can assist with a wide variety of situations involving potential discrimination or lack of accommodation.
Contact an Experienced Hawaii Disability Rights Lawyer for Assistance
In the unfortunate event that you have suffered unlawful discrimination due to a disability, you should not hesitate to contact the office of Davis Levin Livingston to discuss a possible legal claim. We are committed to standing up for the rights of disabled individuals in Hawaii and upholding anti-discrimination laws. Call us today at (866) 806-4349for help.
Disability Rights – In The News