Cosmetic surgery is a specific field of surgery that is performed for the primary purpose of improving physical features, correcting deformities or repairing damage resulting from an injury or accident. As with any surgery, there are risks associated with cosmetic surgery, but when medical professionals are not properly trained or fail to obtain vital patient information, the outcome could be devastating. Medical complications resulting from failed cosmetic surgery may include injuries, infection, extensive scarring, emotional trauma, nerve damage and other traumatic outcomes that may affect the person overall well-being and quality of life.
Cosmetic surgery is surgery, therefore there are expected risks, however, there are several factors that may increase the risk of suffering permanent damage resulting from cosmetic surgery errors, including following five outcomes, but certainly not limited to these complications:
- Anesthesia complications. If you are allergic to or have a low tolerance to certain anesthesia or sedation medications, a variety of complications can occur such as lung obstructions, aspiration, infections or a blocked airway which can lead to blood clots, heart attack, paralysis and death.
- Excessive Bleeding. The cosmetic surgeon should discuss with you what you should expect as far as bleeding, during as well as after the procedure. Although some blood loss and bruising is expected, excessive blood loss is a possible complication. If there is more bleeding than expected during the procedure you may have to get a blood transfusion, infection may occur due to excessive exposure of the incision and for some procedures, such as on or near the eye, excessive bleeding may cause blindness.
- Nerve Damage. Although it is common to experience some numbness following a cosmetic surgery procedure, in some cases, permanent nerve damage occurs. Nerve damage as the result of severed nerves during the procedure often occurs during a face lift, because of the delicate areas in the region of the face.
- Emotional damage. In most situations, cosmetic surgery can produce amazing results and you are able to go on happy and content following the procedure. However, in some situations the outcome of cosmetic surgery can be devastating due to the aesthetic results not being the changes desired. If there are greater expectations and the surgeon was not completely clear in the possible outcome, it can be emotionally damaging. When procedures result in worse damage than before the procedure, it can mean additional surgeries to repair the damage and permanent damage.
- Excessive scarring. There is some scarring expected as a result of cosmetic surgery, but in some situations such as a face lift, scarring is visible. A well-trained cosmetic surgeon should make incisions behind the hairline to reduce the possibility of visible scarring.
Failed cosmetic surgery can leave you with lifelong complications. Emotional problems, chronic pain, loss of work and extensive as well as expensive corrective surgeries are only some of the problems a victim can face as a result of medical malpractice from cosmetic surgery. If you or someone you love has been a victim of bad cosmetic surgery, contact our medical malpractice attorney to discuss the details of your situation.