Truck Accident Lawyers in Hawaii
Holding All Liable Parties Responsible for Your Injuries in Honolulu & Beyond
Due to the immense size and weight of semi-trucks, accidents with these vehicles are frequently fatal. Even if you are fortunate enough to survive the accident, you will likely face severe injuries and overwhelming financial consequences.
If someone else caused your collision, you should not have to struggle through these hardships alone. Personal injury attorneys exist to make sure the negligent parties in your accident understand and compensate you for the realities of their wrongdoings.
At Davis Levin Livingston, our legal team advocates on your behalf to help you secure the resources you need to recover.
Truck Accidents: The Stats
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), commercial trucks weigh 20-30 times as much as passenger vehicles. When accidents happen, occupants of passenger vehicles are especially vulnerable. To make matters worse, large trucks do not have the same braking capabilities as other vehicles and take 20-40% longer to stop or avoid hazards.
These factors, and others, contribute to large truck crashes. In 2017, a total of 4,102 people died in this type of accident. About 68% of these people were passenger vehicle occupants, but another 14% were pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed by a large truck while driving, walking, or biking, call us at (808) 740-0633 today.
Who Is Responsible For My Accident?
This is an excellent question, and it will be the touchstone of your personal injury lawsuit. If your accident was caused by a truck driver, there are several factors to examine and multiple parties that could be responsible. The driver’s schedule, the condition of their truck, the way their vehicle was loaded, and the materials they were carrying can all play into truck accidents.
If a driver was drowsy behind the wheel, for example, their behavior is negligent, but it may have also been influenced by illegal company policies. When this is the case, the driver’s employer may also carry liability. Other parties may share accountability, as well. These include, but are not limited to:
- The people who loaded the truck – If the load was imbalanced or the truck was overfilled, the party that filled the truck could be partially at fault for your accident.
- Those in charge of the truck’s maintenance – Because of their size and weight, large trucks already have a hard time stopping. If this factor was exacerbated by a mechanical error, or if a maintenance issue contributed to the accident, whoever was responsible for maintaining the vehicle may have to accept partial liability.
- Shipping companies – Even if the driver was totally in the wrong, shipping companies are responsible for the negligence of their employees. Unless the driver who harmed you was an independent contractor at the time of the accident, you should make a claim against the company’s insurance policy in addition to your claim against the driver.
When multiple parties assume liability, the amount of damages you can receive will increase. Maximize your claim with our firm.
What Can I Use Damages For?
Damages refer to the money you may be awarded as a result of your lawsuit. They are designed to compensate you for your injuries and alleviate suffering caused by the accident. In cases of severe wrongdoings, they can also serve to punish the negligent party and prevent people from exhibiting the same behavior in the future.
If you’ve been injured, you can use damages for:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitative treatments
- Making up for lost wages
- Offsetting diminished earning potential
- Restoring your quality of life
- Recovering from pain and suffering
If you’ve lost a loved one, damages can help address:
- Premortem medical expenses
- Funeral costs
- Burial fees
- Permanent loss of income
- Loss of domestic services
- Missing parental guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional and psychological distress
While money will never change what happened, a financial award can contribute to your peace of mind and make your life easier as you move forward from a devastating injury or loss.
Why Choose Davis Levin Livingston?
Collectively, our lawyers have been pursuing justice for over 160 years. For the last 40 years, our firm has been fighting for victims in Hawaii, specifically. We have set personal injury records in the state, and we have an advanced in-house team to handle every aspect of your case.
Call (808) 740-0633 for a free consultation at our Honolulu office.